CARRIE is the first IRB step for MAHEC GME Research using Mission data
If your research does NOT have a resident/fellow on the research team, OR if your GME research does NOT use Mission data, please use the Mission Health IRB process via IRB Net.
What is CARRIE? Centralized Algorithm for Research Rules on IRB Exemptions
CARRIE is the first step of the IRB process for MAHEC GME researchers at MAHEC. You will be asked questions to determine whether your project is exempted from further IRB Review.
What is an Institutional Review Board (IRB)?
An Institutional Review Board (IRB) is an ethics committee tasked with protecting the rights and well-being of humans involved in research. You learned about this when you completed your required CITI training in protection of human subjects.
CARRIE and IRB Manager (portal to login to CARRIE)
Instructions for CARRIE
PLEASE NOTE: LINKS ONLY WORK WHEN CONNECTED TO THE MAHEC NETWORK EITHER ON-SITE OR CONNECTED VIA VPN (Global Protect)! THIS ENSURES THE PRIVACY OF THE LINKED DOCUMENTS.
Using IRB Manager CARRIE for MAHEC Research (step-by-step instructions for MAHEC)
IRB Manager CARRIE guide (HCA how-to instructions)
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) for CARRIE
- You must have an HCA 3-4 ID to submit to CARRIE.
- CARRIE is intended for the Principal Investigator (PI) to complete, as there are a number of attestations that are most appropriate for the research team leader (e.g. oversight of entire project).
- You will need to attach your research protocol, surveys, data collection sheets, etc. to the CARRIE submission.
- For GME related scholarly activity, your Local Institution Approver is your Division Director of GME Research (DRD). See Using IRB Manager CARRIE for MAHEC Research for details.
- Please send all research protocols using Mission Data or surveying Mission inpatients to the HCA NC Division Director of Research – Tokesha Warner.
Potential CARRIE Outcomes:
- Does NOT Require IRB oversight because:
- not engaging in research with human subjects as defined by federal regulations
- engaging in research with human subjects deemed excluded from IRB oversight per 45CFR46.102(l)
- engaging in research with sufficient human subject protections in the design to meet one or more IRB exemption criteria set forth in 45CFR46.104
- DOES Require IRB Oversight – GO TO IRB Manager