Office 365 email has filters in place to protect users from spam and malicious email like phishing scams.
Messages caught by the filters are placed in quarantine for your and MAHEC’s protection. Users will receive a Spam Notification message once a day, notifying them of any messages that have been placed in quarantine. Any legitimate mail caught by mistake can be released directly from this message or from the quarantine portal (see details below).
Mail left in quarantine will automatically be deleted after 15 days.
Handling Quarantined Email
Legitimate messages placed in quarantine may be released into your inbox one of two ways:
- directly from the daily spam notification email message or
- from the Office 365 Security & Compliance Center (more info below).
Users can check the quarantine portal anytime or whenever they are missing expected email.
From the spam notification message:
If you receive mail that has been placed in quarantine you’ll receive a message like that shown in image below. The following options will be available to you by clicking the respective links in the message or you can choose to do nothing.
- Release to Inbox – message is removed from quarantine and placed in your inbox.
- Report as Not Junk – Microsoft is sent a copy of message to be analyzed. Doing this tells Microsoft that the message isn’t junk however, it does not guarantee that the message will not be placed in quarantine the next time it is received.
- Do nothing – message is left in quarantine and deleted automatically after 15 days.
From the Office 365 Security & Compliance Center:
Quarantined email can also be handled in the Office 365 Security & Compliance Center.
- Go to https://protection.office.com/#/quarantine.
- Click Threat management and then click Review.
- Click Quarantine (any where in the box).
A list of your emails in quarantine are displayed.
- Click any message to select it, then choose from the options given:
- Release message – message is removed from quarantine and placed in your inbox.
- View message header – Choose this link to see the message header text.
- Preview message – Shows a preview of the message with all links disabled.
- Download message – Downloads a copy of the email in a .eml format which can be opened by Outlook.
- Remove from quarantine – After you click Yes in the warning that appears, the message is immediately deleted.