1. Open the Office document you would like to protect. Click the File menu, select the Info tab, then select the Protect Document button. Click Encrypt with Password.
2. Enter your password then click OK.
3. Enter the password again to confirm it and click OK.
4. Microsoft Word will now indicate the document is protected. Each time you open the document, you will be prompted to enter your password to access its contents.
Very similar to password protecting a word document.
1. Enter your password then click OK.
2. Enter the password again to confirm it and click OK.
Protect all or part of an Excel workbook
For Microsoft Excel Workbooks, you can protect all or parts of a workbook. To do that, use the following instructions. Click File, select the Infotab, click the Protect Workbook button. Click Encrypt with Password then follow the same instructions used when protecting a Word document. Very similar to password protecting a word document.
Protect a sheet
If you have a shared workbook, you can protect a particular sheet without locking the entire workbook. Right click the sheet then click Protect Sheet.
If there is part of a sheet you would like to protect from modification, you can do so too. First, highlight the range then click the Review tab. Click Allow Users to Edit Ranges
Click Protect Sheet.
Enter a password then confirm it.
When you try to make changes to that range, you will receive the following message:
To make changes to the range or a particular cell, select it, go to the Review tab then click Unprotect. Enter your password then click OK.